Skip Navigation
  1. home
  2. Foreigner Service
  3. Public Service
  4. Sojourn of foreigners

Public Service

Sojourn of foreigners

Any foreigner wishing to enter the Republic of Korea must have a valid passport and visa issued by the Ministry of Justice. By confirming the dates for duration of stay on the passport and visa, penalties can be avoided if it is necessary to extend one’s stay in Korea.

  • Short-term residents (C-type – up to 90 days)
    • The date shown on the visa is the expiration date for stay.
  • Long-term and permanent residents: foreigners holding alien registration certificates
    • The date on the right upper part of the alien registration certificate is the expiration date for stay. In the event the period of stay was previously extended, the expiration date can be found on the back of the alien registration certificate.
  • Marriage immigrants
    • Marriage immigrants are deemed to be the same as long-term or permanent residents.
※ For more information about alien registration, entry permits and other immigration-related affairs, please visit the Websites of the Korea Immigration Service (, Hi Korea ( or call 1345.