Meaningful events, including Year-end concerts, New Year’s Eve concerts, bell tolling ceremony, sunrise festivals, held to welcome 2011
Daegu Metropolitan City will convene diverse cultural events to bid farewell to the momentous year 2010and to bid a hopeful welcome to 2011, the Year of the Rabbit, in a more meaningful way. The events include a bell tolling ceremony to wish for the success of 2011 Visit Daegu Year and the IAAF World Championships Daegu, as well as sunrise festivals, year-end concerts and New Year’s concerts.
○ Daegu will hold a bell tolling event at the Gukchaebosang Park belfry on New Year’s Eve, which is meant to convey the collective good wishes of Daegu’s citizens. The event will be more significant since it is being convened in conjunction with a performance to declare open the “2011 Visit Daegu Year.”
○ The bell ringing ceremony will start with a pre-ceremony cultural event at 8 p.m. on December 31, followed by bell tolling by dignitaries, a declaration ceremony for the 2011 Visit Daegu Year, the delivery of a New Year’s Message by Mayor Kim Beom-il, and a blazing fireworks show to welcome the New Year.
○ Also, New Year’s Eve concerts featuring diverse genres of music will be convened at the Daegu Opera House, Suseong Artpia and Bukgu Culture and Arts Center to bid farewell to the year 2010 and welcome the New Year.
○ Meanwhile, diverse sunrise festivals for welcoming the New Year, the Year of the Rabbit, will be held at many places across the city to inaugurate the highly promising year of 2011. Daegu Metropolitan City will hold a sunrise event to wish for the successful hosting of the IAAF World Championships Daegu, and for the hopes, good health and happiness of its citizens at Mt. Cheoneulsan in Suseong-gu, Daegu.
○ City counties and wards will also hold sunrise festivals and prayer ceremonies at Mt. Waryongsan in Seo-gu, Mt. Apsan Sanseongsan in Nam-gu, Waterfront Park at Unamji lake, Hwawon Park Observatory in Buk-gu, Moambong peak at Jukgok-ri in Dasa, the Sajikdan altar at Mr. Choijeongsan in Gachang, Johwabong peak in Mt. Biseulsan, Mt. Daenisan in Guji, and Nokgonggang River bank in Okpo. At some sites, rice cake soup will be served to participants